The long run days may be the most important for me in training for the Beast.  This day didn’t start so well.  I woke up at 4:20, which was 10 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off.  “Supposed” was the key word there.  I laid there trying to get the last few minutes of rest while mentally rehearsing the run for the day.  I drifted off to a light sleep and when I awoke, I thought to myself that it has to be time to get up.  It was.  The clock showed 5:17 a.m.  I had set the clock, but forgot to actually turn it on – that is vital for an alarm to function properly.  I do that about once a year.  Fortunately, even though I was now going to be late for work it was the Friday before a holiday, I had no meetings, and could make up the time at the end of the day. 

I brushed my teeth, got dressed, ate some cubes of watermelon, and fixed my post-workout recovery drink.  I then got loose and strapped on my ipod shuffle.  That, by the way, was a Father’s Day gift from my fabulous wife and has made running a little more tolerable.  Off I ran…for about a quarter of a mile when my left shoe came untied.  Ugghhh!  I know better than not tying my shoes tightly.  A good sturdy tying and I was off again.   About a mile later, I was attacked by 2 dogs — of the white and fluffy variety.  I don’t know if they were trying to nip at me or lick me, but it was all that I could do to keep from stepping on them.  I heard a lady yelling at them and apologizing profusely.  I said it was okay and kept on going.  I’m sure she didn’t expect someone to be running down her street at 5:30 in the morning.   If it happens again I’m going to pretend that they are mountain lions that the Spartan Race officials have set loose….I wouldn’t put it past them.  

On my second pass around the 3.5 mile loop of my neighborhood, I could not remember if I had run down one particular street or not.  I didn’t want to cheat myself so I ran it twice just to make sure.  By the time I finished my goal of 70 minutes, my knees were starting to ache and my legs were twice as heavy as when I began.  I checked my heart rate monitor and was astonished to see that it was only “128”, another indicator that my cardio is strong, but my legs need some endurance.

I finished off with stretching and threw in 20 pushups, 20 crunches, and 10 burpees just for good measure.  Drank my yummy recovery drink, showered, had a hearty breakfast and off to work I went.