The title actually should be “Should YOU run an obstacle race“. While examining my blog analytics, I was surprised to see the number of hits that came from people using that search term. I might as well go ahead and answer it in this post.
If you answer “yes” to any of the following questions you should run an OCR.
- Do you like the adrenaline rush from attempting something outside your normal comfort zone?
- Do you like to meet really gifted athletes who don’t earn $6 million per year nor get in gun fights at a bar with another athlete’s posse?
- Do you want to get some really cool scars?
- Do you like to get dirty?
- Do you want to turn “exercise” into “training”?
- Do you want to know what a “Field Day for Adults” is like?
- Do you want to have a really cool story to tell your co-workers on Monday?
- Are you competitive?
- Are you tired of sitting on the couch playing video games and watching TV?
- Do you want some really cool photos of yourself to post on Facebook?
- Do you have friends who run in OCRs?
- Do you like the feeling of accomplishment?
Notice that none of those questions asked anything about level of physical fitness. Most of these races/events can be completed by almost anyone. It might take longer and it might be difficult, but don’t doubt yourself. If you’ve been contemplating it, then quit thinking about it and sign up!
Note: If you’re considering a Spartan Race then shoot me an email and I can get you a discount.